Looking out my window, there are two black tupelo trees, each rather non-descript and scraggly – not much to look at. But come the later part of September, these two trees provide a brilliant show of bright red color on branches that seem almost invisible, suspending the foliage in a sort of anti-gravity display. They are the first serious sign of Fall, just before the rest of the yard goes to color. And even though the days are still warm, cold nights and raking leaves are just around the corner.
Residential Real Estate
Are you buying or selling your home or condominium? Real estate contracts are lengthy, confusing and full of legal jargon. Problems large and small are common, such as title defects, inspection issues and misunderstandings about what is included in the sale. The parties can be very emotional. Let me walk you through the process from start to finish. You will be informed and empowered.
Here is what you can expect from me:
- Explain the terms and conditions and how they affect you
- Suggest important optional terms and special contingencies that provide greater protection
- Work to provide the best agreement possible
- Assist you at closing to understand the many documents you need to sign
- Help you work through problems when they develop
- Educate you about any condominium or homeowner association documents
What your broker won’t tell you:
- The standard form agreement is probably not best for your situation
- My job is to help protect your interests and your money, not try to break the deal
- Brokers cannot offer legal advice about the agreements or problems that may arise
- Brokers who prepare purchase agreements may be engaging in the unauthorized practice of law
- Once the agreement is signed, there is no right to cancel unless it is written in the agreement.
What you should know about the bank’s attorney:
- Their top priority is the lender which can create a conflict of interest with the buyer
- You may not be able to choose the bank’s attorney
- The lender’s attorney may rely on the standard form agreements, perhaps with just a few boilerplate terms added. My agreements are usually much more comprehensive.
- Often the lender does not assign your account until after the purchase agreement is already signed-then it is too late to negotiate further
- If you are the seller, the bank attorney cannot represent you.
What’s next? Please contact me for a free consultation and to learn more about how I can guide you through this important process.